Tuesday 17 April 2012

Evaluation Question 1

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



The research that I did before creating my video ensured that my media product uses a number of conventions from real media products in my genre. The genre of my video is indie rock however it could also be seen as indie punk rock as the form of the song used for my video often portrays elements of the post punk revival genre. However before making my video I researched a number of music videos in this genre so that I could see the forms and conventions that should be in this genre of music video and what I should consider including in mine.

I watched a number of videos from a range of artists within this genre such as Kings of Leon, The Kooks and The Killers which showed the key conventions that should be in an indie rock music video and how these are portrayed and perceived by the audience. In watching these videos I noted the key aspects of these videos and started to think how I could integrate these techniques into my video effectively. The videos also allowed me to explore the range of indie rock videos and see how different bands present this genre.

After I had watched a few of these videos I had quickly realised that band performance was the main convention in this genre of music and a number of these videos showed the bands playing in concerts with huge audiences. However others used a more relaxed show of performance with a range of different locations used to give the video more of a casual performance feel. Although I would not be able to film a concert with a mass audience for my music video I knew that I had to challenge the conventions of these real media products by having clear band performance in my video but doing this in a different way.

I did this by keeping to the usual elements of an indie rock video with the use of a guitar and drums when showing the band performance and these shots are shown throughout my video. I identified this feature as a necessity in a music video of this genre which is why I decided to heavily include these shots in my video. The combination of these band shots with a narrative is also something that is used in this genre of video with these shots interchanging. This was shown in a number of the music videos that I researched with the majority being dominated by band performance. This included the Kings of Leon 'use somebody' which shows a range of shots with the band performing at a concert.

The digipak that I created also challenges the forms and conventions of a real media product due to the research i gathered before creating it. I researched into a number of album covers as well as adverts and put these onto blogger with an analysis of these talking about the layout, designs, colours, font and images shown and how these are presented and perceived by the audience. I then used these CD covers and adverts to help in the designing of mine as I became aware of the typical layout and conventions.

The majority of the album covers that I researched had an image of the band on the front cover which is a very common feature in not only this genre but is used by a high number of bands from a range of genres. The use of a band image on the front helps to make the album easily recognisable to people who may see the album in a shop or online. This is why I decided to use an image of the band on my album front cover as then the cover can be linked to my video and the album advert. When i began researching adverts I decided to try and find the adverts for the bands that I had already researched for the CD covers. This was so that I could link the two together and clearly see how they were similar and also the differences between them. I noticed that a high number of album adverts show the same image that is on the front cover of the CD but enlarge them to make it more appealing and add large font to it with the name of the band and the album. This allows the advert to be clearly recognisable to the audience and can be clearly linked to the CD cover and the main video itself.

I thought that by using the same image on my CD cover and advert as is done by so many bands in my genre that this shows me using the typical conventions of a real media product. I also challenged these conventions by using a large font as a logo which also creates a brand image which again is something that is constantly used by bands in my genre and in other genres.  The Killers advert for the album 'day and age' takes this form by using a bigger font in the middle of the advert so that the band title immediately draws attention.

Overall I think that my media product uses, challenges and develops the forms and conventions of a real media product in a range of ways. This is because of the research that I gathered which has been hugely influential in all stages of my media product. The are a number of things which reflect this research and how it effected and contributed to what I put into my video. This includes the idea of using band performance in my video along with a separate narrative and using these shots together effectively. I also displayed the conventions and forms of a real media product in my digipak and advert which reflects the research that I did on other bands digipaks and adverts and how the genre of indie punk rock is shown through these.

No comments:

Post a Comment